Your local business domain name or website address is one of the critical components in any SEO strategy. If you haven’t registered a domain name, here are a few tips to guide you in choosing one:
- Whatever domain name you want, make sure it ends in .com. However, if that is not possible, you can also use .org and .net extensions. These three extensions are the best ones to apply for the US online market.
- Avoid using hyphenated domain names. For example, just because you the domain name www.doctorsinnewyork.com is already taken, don’t register a hyphenated version like www.doctors-in NewYork or www.doctors-in-NewYork. Hyphenated domains don’t give the impression of being an authority domain and have a bad image in SEO. Instead, try adding a prefix or suffix such as www.doctorsinnewyorkonline.com or www.emergencydoctorsinnewyork.com. Needless to say, if you want to hyphenate, use no more than 1-2 hyphens.
- Keep your domain names short and don’t elongate them to longer than 3 or 4 words. For example, if you run a hardware shop called
Anthony Bradley and Sons Hardware, Electricals”, you may want to use www.abradleyandsons.com or www.bradleyhardware.com. You don’t want to register www.anthonybradleyandsonshardwareandelectricals.com!
- Even if you operate a franchise or dealership for a significant company, avoid using branded company names in your domain as this is illegal and you could get sued. If you want to use brand names in your domain, always get written permission from the brand owners
- It’s wise to build a site using your keywords in the domain for additional SEO leverage. Let’s say you run a pizza joint called Papa Pedro’s Pizza and your keywords “pizza in NYC,” it would make sense to register both www.papapedrospizza.com and www.pizzainnyc.com. In this way, you can have multiple website rankings from one keyword using the two sites. Just imagine if you registered all your keywords as domains- you could easily own the first page of Google for those keywords with proper SEO!
© 2020 - biz.builders All rights reserved